Funeral Sermons and Ceremonies

At the Universal Life Church, we have many funeral ceremonies and sermons for your use. We also have a wide selection through the ULC Church store.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Funeral Ceremony - Suicide

This funeral ceremony was for young suicide.  It was co-celebrated by an ULC Minister and a Catholic Priest.
The parents of the boy are long divorced and estranged.  It was very painful.  But everyone said that they were comforted by the service.
FUNERAL SERVICE FOR JEREMY
November 13, 2007
 
 
Opening   (ULC officiant)
 
 
To everything there is a season.
A time to be born and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to reap;
A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance;
A time for every purpose under Heaven.
   Ecclesiates 3:1-8
 
 
We gather here today to say goodbye to Jeremy, our beloved and loving Son, Grandson, Brother, Cousin, Nephew and Friend. We come together to share our grief, love and compassion. With heavy hearts we understand that Jeremy had a disease, an addiction that took him from us. We seek his forgiveness for our failures and to forgive him for his weaknesses so we can focus on a path to celebration. A celebration of our Jeremy who touched and charmed everyone who knew him. We will miss Jeremy, who was wonderfully intelligent, loving and always brought his unique perspective to any topic of conversation. The Jeremy that loved to challenge conventional wisdom, and enjoyed reading Philosophy and was interested in ancient Civilizations and cultures. We will always remember Jeremy's quick wit and the gentle caring love he had for his pets, especially Rocky, his boyhood friend, and most recently Roxy. We will all miss our beloved Jeremy and are here to celebrate the boy and man who enriched all our lives.
 
 
PRAYER FROM CHURCH    (Father John)
……
 
Scripture recited by the congregation    
 
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pasture,
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul, He leads me in the
Paths of righteousness for his name sake.
 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of
The shadow of death, I fear no evil, for thou
Are with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 
Thou prepares a table before me in the presence
of my enemies, thou anoints my head with oil,
my cup runs over.
 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house
of the Lord forever.  23rd Psalm
…..
 
Blessing of the Body       (Father John)
 
Music by Coldplay, "The Scientist"
…..
 
Eulogy by the father
 
Where do I begin?
I am not a writer. I am a father who has lost one of the most precious gifts god has ever given me. It seems like only a moment ago I was a child myself pushing the boundaries and limits my own parents tried to set for me. A moment has passed and now I stand here in a place I could never have imagined.  Jeremy my son so easy to love and yet at times he made it impossible to like him.  Jeremy was at times brilliant and beautiful, hateful and frustrating, funny and sarcastic.  He was hard on the people who loved him most.  Jeremy and I would say goodbye to each other on the phone when he was little, I would say I love you more than all the stars in the sky, he would say I love you more than all the sand on the beach, I would say all the leaves on the trees, this would continue for a short time until someone would declare a winner, usually (Jeremy).  Today I won't say goodbye because although the years will pass and I will struggle to take each breathe and live each day as if tomorrow may never come, it will only be a moment and I will be with you, my son.  I pray you are at peace and know how truly loved you are.  All the stars in the sky, all the sand on the beach.  It's a tie. Nobody won.
 
All My Heart
        Your Dad
…..
 
Poem read by the sister
 
When I come to the end of the road,
and the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room,
why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little but not too long
and not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared
miss me but let me go.

For this is a journey that we all must take
and each must go alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan-
a step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick at heart,
Go to the friends we know,
And bury your sorrow in doing good deeds,
Miss me, but let me go.
…..
 
 
 
(ULC officiant)
 
It is painful and difficult and happy and joyous to let go and it is time.  Godspeed, dear boy, may flights of angels guide thee to thy rest.     
…..
 
(Father John)
 
Let us all rise, join hands, and recite the Lord's Prayer.
…..
 
(ULC officiate)
 
We offer the opportunity for those who chose to come forward to say goodbye.
…..
 
Amazing Grace sung by a cousin
…..
 
(Father John)
 
The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance Upon you
And give you peace.

Submitted by Rev. Tony Grimwade

*******************************
The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have many classes in Christianity, one about Wicca, several forms of Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. 
You can  become an ordained minister, for free,  and for life, so use this Free Online Ordination, link.
This  online seminary, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of minister supplies
 
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment